Cryogenic Cooler Test Bench
Honeywell Hymatic Ltd is a department of the global Fortune 100 technology company, Honeywell, and specialises in Cryogenic Cooling Solutions for Defence and Space applications.
An adapted CCS LabStand for undertaking a wide range of tests on a cryogenic cooling system, including Stroke Capability Test, Friction Checks and Performance Baseline tests. The aim is to minimise the operator skill level required by being easy to operate and calibrate, while maintaining a very high accuracy, with clear reporting and raw data output.
- Mobility and Operating Interfacing:
- The cabinet should be easy moveable between test areas, including to suit double doors and having all test connections on the right-hand side.
- Front and rear access to the hardware.
- Allow the operator to run the tests standing up or sitting down.
- The cabinet should be powder coated and be powered from one standard mains socket.
- Ease of connectivity and enhanced airflow should be considered.
- The E-Stop will stop operation while leaving the PC and control hardware active.
- Inputs/Outputs and Connectivity:
- BNCs for TESA mU Checker and Pressure Transducer
- CB-A2 Socket for Keyence Triangulation
- 9-way D-Type RS-232 for Mitutoyo Laser Mic
- 4 mm socket for Boing Out
- 6 mm sockets for ACT Tests 1 & 2
- K-Type Thermocouple for Temp 1 & 2
- Design Control and Acquisition Hardware:
- National Instruments Hardware: cRIO Backplane, Differential Input Module, Analogue Output Module, Sinking Digital Input Module, Safe 24v Sourcing Digital Output Module, Permanent 24v Sourcing Digital Output Module.
- Pilz Safety Controller
- Extras: PULS low ripple power supplies, Harting 5 port switch and Brainboxes Ethernet to RS-232 converter.
- Main Interface is the gateway to the main test bench functions and contains the user login/logout, a maintenance Task Status and navigation to the other operating screens.
- Test Interface is designed to guide the user through each required test by displaying a series of prompts as the test progresses. It includes information on the current test, test step and instructions relevant to the test for the operator in Area A and displays a TAR mimic or a graphical representation of the test in Area B. There is also a System Trip Status Pop-Up for when there has been a critical system event. Then two reports are generated at the completion of any test run.
- The Test Bench Summary Report containing the test unit ID info and summary of results.
- Audit Report containing a full list of every step completed during testing.
- Maintainer Interface allows a user to complete maintenance tasks, conduct manual testing, and view/adjust calibration.
- Administrator Interface allows a user to add, delete or modify authorised test bench accounts.
The test rig was delivered alongside a Software Instruction Manual and Warranty Information. Since then CCS have updated the systems software and hardware and will continue to be contactable for any future updates or issues. There has also been a more recent second Acquisition System for Honeywell in 2020 and there will be ongoing support and software updates.
- Aerospace Projects including other test rigs, data acquisition systems (including CCS’s Daquire™) and control interfaces, for various aerospace components and companies such as Collins Aerospace, BAE Systems, and MOOG.
- LabStand was originally developed for BAE Systems and now has been adapted for new applications, such as Clutch Testing.
Certified LabView Architect
Principal Software Developer at CCS
Tel: +44 (0)1926 485532